Tackling Food Insecurity in the U.S. is an ongoing, complex mission. The state of food insecurity in the U.S. has worsened in recent years, catalyzed by exponentially rising food costs, decreased funding, and increases in requests for assistance across the country.
Salesforce has shifted substantial focus and investment into confronting Food Insecurity through technology innovation and industry collaboration, including the inaugural Zero Hunger Summit at Dreamforce in September 2022. As a trusted Salesforce partner for over twelve years, Prolocity has been fortunate to work with Food Banks and food-related organizations on both small-scale and enterprise levels, and we are continuing to double-down on our efforts to help food organizations further serve their communities.
As nonprofit food banks continue to face increasing demand and complex operational challenges, solutions like Salesforce are presenting impactful opportunities to streamline processes to better serve communities. So how can food banks leverage Salesforce in the fight against Food Insecurity?
13 ways that food banks can leverage Salesforce:
- Volunteer management: Volunteers are often the lifeblood of food bank operations. Food banks can use Salesforce to recruit, manage, and engage their volunteer base. Salesforce provides a centralized platform to track volunteer hours, skills, and interests, as well as communicate with volunteers and schedule shifts.
- Donor management: Salesforce can help food banks manage their donor relationships and track donations. This includes managing donation campaigns, tracking gifts, and creating personalized communications to engage donors and build relationships.
- Corporate partner management: Many food banks rely on corporate partners for donations and support. Salesforce can help food banks manage these relationships by tracking engagement and donations and providing tools for collaboration and reporting.
- Inventory management: Managing inventory is a critical aspect of food bank operations. Salesforce can provide a central location to track food donations and inventory levels, making it easier to plan and manage distributions.
- Field and food delivery management: For food banks that deliver food directly to clients, Salesforce can provide tools to manage delivery schedules, track client information, and report on delivery metrics.
- Communication management: Salesforce provides a powerful communication platform that can be used to engage volunteers, donors, and clients through email, SMS, and other channels.
- Event management: Food banks often host events to raise awareness and support for their cause. Salesforce can provide tools to manage event logistics, track registrations, and measure event impact.
- Partner Management: It takes a community of partners collaborating to get food to neighbors in need. In the fight against hunger, food banks partner with agencies, churches, schools, and other organizations to distribute food to neighbors. These partnerships require food banks to manage communications, compliance, monthly statistics sharing, and more. Salesforce provides a comprehensive system to manage all areas of partner management, including a portal for partners to view and manage data.
- Grant management: Grants are typically a very important source of revenue for food banks, and they require a lot of steps to manage the application process, as well as a complex accounting and reporting process. Salesforce can help food banks manage the grant application process, track grant progress, track and report the grant outcomes, as well as report on the restrictions of the grants.
- Client management: Salesforce can be used to manage client data, track services provided, and measure program impact. For those food banks with direct services, such as SNAP Benefits applications or direct distributions, this can help those food banks better understand client needs and outcomes, and make data-driven decisions to improve their services.
- Reporting and analytics: Salesforce provides powerful reporting and analytics capabilities that can help food banks measure program impact, track outcomes, and identify areas for improvement.
- Advocacy and policy: Many food banks are also engaged in advocacy and policy work to address the root causes of food insecurity. Salesforce can help food banks manage their advocacy efforts and engage with policymakers and other stakeholders.
- Marketing & Communications: Food banks have many different stakeholders ranging from monetary donors, volunteers, food donors, partner agencies, and more. Each one of these groups includes multiple segments that each require tailored communication. Whether it’s an email journey to convert a long-time volunteer to a monetary donor, an automated text messages to remind a SNAP Benefits applicant to submit their documentation, or an email blast to notify partners of a food recall, Salesforce is a solution to elevate all aspects of a food bank’s complex communication strategy.
Many food banks across the country are already leveraging Salesforce across many of these areas, and there are additional benefits that come from using Salesforce to manage multiple functions. For example, by managing donors and volunteers from the same system, it becomes easier for the development team to engage and cultivate volunteers to also support the organization monetarily, and it becomes easier to segment groups for marketing and communications when the data exists in Salesforce as your single source of truth. Our client, Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, has partnered with our team over the last several years, resulting in Salesforce being the core technology driving organization operations across many different functional areas. Check out the impact Salesforce has made on the organization in this case study!
By using Salesforce, food banks can enhance their operations and better serve their communities. From volunteer management to grant management to advocacy, Salesforce provides a comprehensive platform to manage all aspects of food bank operations. As a trusted partner of food banks across the country, the Prolocity team is ready to help your organization leverage the power of the Salesforce platform. Reach out today through the form below!