There’s been a lot of chatter in the Salesforce community about Enhanced Domains. There was confusion about what it means and what your team needs to do. Prolocity wants to easily break down the “what” and next steps so that you are best set up for success!
What are Salesforce Enhanced Domains and why is Salesforce enforcing it?
Enabling enhanced domains in Salesforce changes most of the application URLs and impacts public links. Enhanced domains provide branding, stability, and compliance benefits, such as complying with the latest browser requirements and avoiding third-party cookies. For more information, read Why Enhanced Domains in Salesforce Help.
Some benefits of using Enhanced Domains include:
- Branding: Using a domain name that reflects your brand can help reinforce your brand identity and make it easier for users to remember your website.
- Security: You can help protect your organization from phishing attacks by using a custom domain name.
- User experience: A custom domain can make it easier for users to access your Salesforce org, as they can use a domain name they are already familiar with.
To use Enhanced Domains, you must have a domain name that you own, and you will need to configure DNS settings to point your domain to your Salesforce org. You can also set up SSL certificates to encrypt traffic between your users and Salesforce.
When will the changes take place?: The Deploy Enhanced Domains release update was first made available with the Summer ’21 release.
Enhanced domains are enforced in phases starting in Winter ’23.
- Winter ’23 (starting in August 2022): Deployed in sandboxes and non-production orgs, with options to opt out & disable the feature. Non-production orgs include demo orgs, Developer Edition orgs, free orgs, patch orgs, Trailhead Playgrounds, and trial orgs.
- Spring ’23 (starting in January 2023): Deployed in all orgs that don’t have enhanced domains deployed, with options to opt-out & disable the feature.
- Summer ’23 (starting in June 2023): Deployed in all orgs that don’t have enhanced domains deployed, with an option to disable the feature.
- Winter ’24 (starting in August 2023): Enhanced domains enforced in all orgs.
For additional timeline details, see Timeline in Salesforce Help.
How do you set up Enhanced Domains?
Good question! You will need to follow these general steps:
- Register a custom domain name: You will need to purchase or register a custom domain name that you would like to use with your Salesforce org. Once you have registered the domain name, you will need to verify ownership of the domain.
- Configure DNS settings: You will need to configure DNS settings to point your custom domain name to your Salesforce org. This involves creating DNS records such as a CNAME record or A record that points to your Salesforce org's domain name.
- Set up SSL certificates: To ensure that your users can securely access your Salesforce org using your custom domain, you will need to set up SSL certificates. You can either purchase a third-party SSL certificate or use Salesforce's built-in SSL certificate.
- Configure email settings: If you want to send email from your Salesforce org using your custom domain, you will need to configure your email settings to ensure that your emails are delivered successfully. This involves configuring DNS records for email authentication protocols such as SPF, DKIM, and DMARC.
Test and deploy: Once you have configured your custom domain, you should test it thoroughly to ensure that everything is working correctly. You can also deploy the custom domain to your production environment once you have completed testing.
Keep in mind that the specific steps for enabling Salesforce Enhanced Domains may vary depending on your organization's requirements and the specific Salesforce features that you are using, such as Salesforce Communities or Marketing Cloud. It's always a good idea to consult the Salesforce documentation or work with a certified Salesforce partner to ensure that you are following best practices and making the most of this feature.
Salesforce Enhanced Domains is a powerful feature that can help you improve your company's branding and the user experience for your employees and customers. Questions about updating your instance or don't know where to start? Reach out to our team for help. We are here to help no matter where you are in your Salesforce journey!