It is imperative for organizations to prioritize data security to ensure the secure handling, storage, and utilization of sensitive information. In our digital-first world, nonprofit organizations, commercial businesses, and healthcare fields all face increasing pressure to stay competitive through innovation, automation, scaling, and empowering their workforce. However, realizing these goals necessitates the implementation of IT governance at scale, coupled with stringent IT security and compliance measures. Failure to implement robust security measures not only exposes organizations to potential data breaches but also hampers their ability to drive growth and stay ahead in an increasingly competitive landscape.
Data Security Risks
Are you aware of all the ways your data could be stolen or compromised? We’ve listed out some of the basics.
- Phishing Attacks: Organizations may be targeted by phishers who try to trick employees into revealing login credentials or sensitive information through fake emails or websites.
- Malware: Malware attacks can compromise systems and steal sensitive data.
- Data Breaches: Organizations may be vulnerable to data breaches if they do not have sufficient security measures in place to protect their data.
- Unsecured Networks: Using unsecured networks/devices to access/store sensitive data is very dangerous.
- Lack of employee training: If employees are not properly trained on how to recognize and protect against security threats, your security can be easily compromised
- Outdated software: Organizations may be at risk if they are using outdated software that is no longer supported or has known vulnerabilities. It's important to always stay up to date on the latest quarterly Salesforce Release.
Data Security Best Practices
We’ve compiled a list of some of the best practices that any organization can use to protect its clients' data from security breaches that include:
- Use strong, unique passwords and regularly update them
- Enable two-factor authentication for added security
- Use encryption to protect data in transit and at rest
- Regularly backup important data to a secure location
- Use secure networks and devices to access and store data
- Be cautious of suspicious emails or links, and report them to your IT department
- Keep software and security systems up to date with the latest patches and updates
- Implement access controls to ensure that only authorized personnel have access to sensitive data
- Regularly train employees on data security best practices
Data Security Solutions
One way to get ahead of your internal security concerns is to ensure your organization's compliance. There are various routes to ensure compliance with regulatory data security requirements including the following:
- Familiarize itself with the relevant data security regulations and requirements, such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) or the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
- Conduct a risk assessment to identify any potential data security vulnerabilities and implement appropriate controls to address them
- Implement technical and organizational tools & controls (like Salesforce Shield) to protect data, such as encryption, access controls, and regular security updates
- Document its data security policies and procedures and ensure that employees are aware of and follow them
- Regularly review and update its data security practices to ensure that they are effective and meet the latest regulatory requirements
How to protect my data?
Salesforce has developed solutions tailored to the needs of various organizations, covering areas such as fundraising, marketing and engagement, program management, and grantmaking, as well as promoting internal organizational excellence. With the increasing amount of data being collected, it is important to prioritize trust and data security to build and maintain strong relationships with your customers, partners, and donors. Salesforce implements a continuous three-step framework to secure our enterprise: understanding, protecting, and monitoring your data. Depending on the unique needs of your organization, you may require different products to ensure the protection of your data and provide secure experiences for your stakeholders.
Of the various products that were built in response to customer requests for off-the-shelf, easy-to-implement products, one stands out that is worth mentioning for everyone, Salesforce Shield.
Salesforce Shield is a collection of advanced security features designed to provide additional protection for customers who require a higher level of security. It caters to customers who need to comply with regulations or industry standards, monitor access to sensitive information stored in Salesforce, or optimize performance for large and complex enterprises. The suite includes four main services: Platform Encryption, Event Monitoring, Field Audit Trail, and Data Detect.
- With Platform Encryption, customers can encrypt sensitive data while preserving critical app functions.
- Event Monitoring allows for detailed performance, security, and usage monitoring for all Salesforce apps.
- Field Audit Trail allows for data retention for compliance and greater business insights.
- With Data Detect, customers can easily locate sensitive information within their organization.
In conclusion, data security is an essential aspect of building and maintaining trust with stakeholders for any and all types of organizations. The Salesforce platform provides robust security features such as Salesforce Shield to help organizations safeguard their data and comply with regulatory requirements. To effectively mitigate security risks, it is crucial for organizations to be knowledgeable of relevant data security regulations, conduct comprehensive risk assessments, implement appropriate technical and organizational controls, document clear data security policies and procedures, and continuously review and enhance their data security practices. By prioritizing data security, your business can operate with confidence and deliver secure experiences to all stakeholders.
Need help ensuring your organization's data is safe? We're happy and ready to help! Contact us below for more information.